Integrating TravelBank with QuickBooks Online only takes a few minutes to setup. In this guide we are going to enable:
- Mapping your TravelBank expense categories to your Chart of Accounts
- Automatically syncing paid expense reports to QuickBooks Online as Bills
The steps to complete the integration are:
- Linking your QuickBooks Online company to TravelBank
- Mapping your categories to your Chart of Accounts
- Select a few options
- Determine which department each employee should be classified with
To complete the integration you will need:
- An administrator login to your QuickBooks Online account
- An understanding of your company's Chart of Accounts
- All Reports will be created as Bills and associated with a vendor we will create when you enable the integration called Expense Reports from TravelBank
- We use Bills so we can sync the reports into the correct accounting period. The Bill date is set to the date of the last expense on the report. If the period is closed in QuickBooks Online we will set the date to the first day of the current period.
- By mapping your TravelBank categories to your QuickBooks Online Chart of Accounts we will set the Account for you on each expense line item
- In the description we will give you the Vendor, the customer name, any description the employee added and whether or not it was charged to the corporate card.
- In the memo field we will put any additional information like who the employee owner of the report is.
- If you enable reimbursements through TravelBank we will also sync over the reimbursements as Bill Payments. We allow you to select what liability account you want these payments to debit plus a default credit card account to debit corporate card transactions.
1. Go to Company Settings > Create New Integration > General Ledger > QuickBooks Online
2. Authenticate with QuickBooks Online
You will see a Intuit sign-in page open up at this point. If you don't please check your browser pop-up blocker. You may have to allow the pop-up and refresh the page.
5. Map your expense categories to your Chart of Accounts
Click on Manage Categories to bring up your list of TravelBank expense categories. From here you can select the General Ledger category to map.
6. Set your Integration Options
- Default Expense Category (required) - Any expense that is categorized in TravelBank with a category that we do not have a mapping for will be set to this.
- Sync Expense Reports in “Bill”
- A/P Account for the Bill.
7. Assign a Department Class to each employee
To assign a department class to each employee, select Manager Users within the QuickBooks Online integration page. From there you can select each employee and determine which QuickBooks Online Department they submit reports to. Currently each employee can only be mapped to a single department, if you require multiple departments per user please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
There is no Accounts Payable account available to select in the dropdown menu.
You will need to set up an A/P account in your QuickBooks environment. Here’s how to set it up:
In QuickBooks (online or desktop):
-Navigate to Chart of Accounts (click on the 'Accounting' tab)
-Set Category Type “Accounts payable A/P"
-Name it "Accounts Payable" (or whatever you will remember/is most relevant)
-Set Detail Type Accounts Payable (A/P) (default)
Once this has been created, return to TravelBank and refresh the page. You now have an A/P account to select from.